Wednesday, December 31, 2014

250 Questions to Ask God

            A thought hit me one night as I went to bed.  A new idea.  Something I thought was a fun, exciting idea.  I would love to write a list of questions that we can ask God, one a day.  Questions that we might not normally think to ask Him.  (This is reprinted from my other blog.)      
            I am passionate about learning to walk and talk with God, not just talking at Him.  And in the John Eldredge books I have been reading (an author I enjoy), he talks about going off into the wilderness and spending personal time asking God a question.  And then waiting for the answer.  I love that idea, especially since I believe that it is so important to practice hearing God and to deliberately invite Him into our days and our thoughts.  But it is so easy to let a day slip by just being busy with life. 
            And so I thought it would be great if there was a book of questions that would help us do that.  Now, there probably is a list like this out there somewhere, but I haven’t seen it.  And so I figured, I’ll make my own.  I’ll compile questions that I think are important to ask God, for the sake of learning to listen, to obey, for abiding in Him, and for walking with the Spirit more throughout every day.   
            I really, really want to learn and to help others learn to listen to Him more.  It is so easy to get stuck in a one-way relationship with Him where all we do is thank Him or complain or place our orders with Him about what we want.  But there is so much more to a real relationship with Him.  We can be living daily in closer communion with Him if we remember that He whispers to us, that He is willing to speak to us and to guide us and to lead us into a deeper, more dependent relationship with Him.  But we have to work at it.  He doesn’t just force His messages on us; He whispers and He waits.  He looks for those whose hearts are willing to respond to Him and to heed His whispers. 

            And so, I am making this list for myself, but I want to put it out there for others who might like it, too.  I’m actually making it part of my new “challenging myself” project for the next phase of my life.  I am going to pray and ask God which question He would like me to tackle for that day.  And then, I will ask Him that question in prayer and as I go about my day – doing dishes and laundry and talking with Him – I will try to listen for His answer.  I’m going to journal what He says, do my best to obey as needed, and simply learn to walk with the Spirit each day.  And if I notice any resistance to any question, I will try to spend time with God figuring out why.  There is so much to learn as we go about our spiritual lives, if we just take the time and make the effort to listen to our Heavenly Father.
            Personally, I think that there are at least five core questions that are important to ask regularly, every day if possible (not that I always do it, but I wish I could remember to.  I’m just not that organized yet.):

1.  Is there any Bible passage You want me to read today?
2.  What do You want me to do today? 
3.  What do You want to say to me today?  I’m listening.
4.  What do You want me to pray about today?
5.  Is there any sin or wall I need to address today?

            If we skipped all of the other questions in this list, and simply asked these same ones every day (and listened for and responded to the answer), I believe that we would experience a more vibrant, Spirit-filled life.  But I would also like to challenge myself with the other questions in this list, questions that I wouldn’t normally think to ask.  Some are for fun, some are for healing, and some are really challenging.  But all are to help us deepen our walks with God and learn to listen to the Spirit.  And so, here they are, if you are interested. 
            Tackle them as the Spirit leads, and wait on Him until the answer becomes clear.  And just know that He doesn’t speak just because we tell Him to.  There may be a lot of questions where He doesn’t answer us, but these can be used to help us converse with God and explore our own hearts.
            Never rush off with the first thing that pops in your head unless you are sure it is from Him and it does not contradict Scripture in any way.  If we rush with whatever answers we make up in our own heads or we accept only the answers that we want to hear, then we will miss out on the Truth that will lead us to greater growth, that will set us free, and that will have the greatest impact possible for God’s kingdom.  (And if you want, make this a project to do alongside a friend.  It is always an extra blessing to have a godly friend to walk with.  But if you do not have this kind of friend, know that God walks with you.  And that’s all that matters, because this is all about our relationship with Him anyway.) 
            And just know that whatever God reveals is meant for your own good and His glory.  And He will help you do whatever He asks of you.  But do not go into this lightly, because when He does reveal something, we are responsible to obey.  And be aware that you will face opposition from the enemy, because he hates God’s truth and he’d love nothing more than to keep us from whole-heartedly pursuing God and from finding comfort and healing in Him.  Keep your spiritual armor on!
            Some questions are variations of others because the truth doesn’t usually come all out in one sitting.  So it’s worth asking again at a different time or from a different angle.  (And some are from Through the Refining Fire.)  And remember that these are meant to be prayed, to be asked of God.  Do not just write down whatever comes from your own mind.  Wait for His answer.  (Or write down all the answers you can think of on your own and then wait for Him to add any more.  This makes a good journalling exercise and a good way to uncover what is in your heart and mind.) 
            But when things do come up in your thoughts or feelings, talk to God about them.  Our responses to these questions and the things that they might spark in us can become great conversations with God that open the door for Truth, healing, inspiration, and insight.  So be thoughtful about these questions and always talk to God honestly about whatever they spark in you. 
            I’m just starting with these questions myself, sometimes not getting any answer at all.  But I want to share about one answer I did get.  One morning, I was sitting there in prayer and looking at this list of questions to see which I should ask.  And I found this one, “Do You have a new name for me?”  That question seems so huge to me, so exciting to think that maybe God would have a meaningful name picked out for me that He might share with me.  And even though that seems like a “save the best for last” kind of question, I decided to ask it.
            And so I prayed, “Lord, do You have a new name that You want to give . . .”  And even before I could finish the sentence, a name popped into my head.  It didn’t just vaguely float to the surface; it POPPED.  I have to admit, I was rather shocked.  I know God answers prayer and I am learning to discern His voice over my own thoughts; but I was surprised that it happened so quickly.  And funny enough, I was a little disappointed.  I didn’t expect it to be over so soon.  I thought that I would sit quietly with that question in prayer for a few minutes, the anticipation building, until God revealed the name to me.  Like opening a present on Christmas morning.  But – boom – there it was.
            I knew that this name wasn’t from my own thoughts, because I hadn’t even been thinking about it.  I wasn’t even ready for it.  I hadn’t even finished my prayer.  And so considering all of that, I knew that this was the name God wanted to give me.  And it just so happened to be the name of a plant that I have always loved.  But I never would have pictured myself with that as a name.  It is much too frilly and fluffy and, frankly, ditzy for me.  It didn’t fit.  It wasn’t “me.”  While I loved this plant, it was a little bit of a disappointment and a wonder that this was how He saw me. 
            And so I began trying to think about why God might have picked that name.  I began to explore the qualities and characteristics of that plant.  Maybe this name means that I am resilient like this plant?  Maybe God thinks I can bounce back easily?  Maybe it’s because it stands straight and tall?  On and on I went, thinking of how this name might fit me. 
            When I couldn’t come to any satisfactory explanation, I decided to pray about it.  “Lord, why did You give me this name?  What does it mean?”  And when I didn’t get an answer, I prayed it again.  While the name came to me very quickly, the explanation did not.  I ended up praying this prayer for about two weeks before God answered it.
            One morning, I was sitting in the car waiting to pick someone up when this prayer popped into my head again.  I had just about given up on the idea that God would give me special insight into this name, but I decided to pray again. 
            “Lord, I know that this plant is really nothing special.  It’s actually more like a glorified weed.  But, I don’t know why, it just means so much to me anyway.  I just delight in it so much and it brings me so much joy.” 
            And that’s when the answer hit me.  It wasn’t a voice or anything, but the clear sense that God was speaking this message to my heart and mind:
            “Exactly!  The way you feel about this plant is how I feel about you.  You bring me so much joy and I delight in you so much.  You are My fill in plant name here!”  (I’m just saying “plant” here because I feel like the name is really just between me and God.  It means too much to me to share it with others.)
            Since then, I have often thought fondly of this plant.  And every time I see one or a picture of one, I smile.  Because I am reminded of God’s love for me and that I mean something to Him, even if I usually feel like I’m “nothing special, just a weed, really.”  So even if God never answers another of these questions for me, this one answer has so enriched my days and my life.  So go ahead.  Ask a question or two.  Wait for God to answer.  And see how it enriches your life.  Take care and God bless!  And enjoy the journey!

250 Random Questions to Ask God: 
1.  How do I view myself really?  And how do You view me?  (These are some of the biggest ones you could possibly ask.  So take time for each one.) 

2.  How do I really view You?  And how should I view You?  (Same goes for this one.)

3.  In what ways am I afraid to be “the real me”?  Why? 

4.  What would change if I lived more honestly with myself, others, and You? 

5.  Are there any “lies” or self-defeating beliefs that I have adopted along the way?  (Like “I’m such a loser,” “This kind of stuff always happens to me,” “I don’t deserve . . .,” “God doesn’t care,” “No one is here for me,” and other things like that.) 
            (Follow up questions:  How have these thoughts affected my life?  And how do I perpetuate them, making them more “true” and strongly embedded?)

6.  What or who am I blaming for the problems in my life?  How am I actually responsible? 

7.  At this time, is there any wrong that I need to make right because of my dishonesty with myself, others, or You? 

8.  Is there anything that I need to confess or admit to You right now?  (Sins, fears, doubts, judgments, etc.)  

9.  Can I accept forgiveness?  If not, what blocks me from doing that? 

10.  Can I accept love?  If not, why?

11.  Can I love?  If not, why?

12.  Do I have any idols in my life?  Anything that has taken my focus off of You or that I pursue more than You? 

13.  Is there anything in my home that is displeasing to You and that I should get rid of?

14.  Is there any habit of mine or something in my life that You want me to give up?

15.  Is there any cross that I am failing to bear with grace?

16.  What do I need to change to be more glorifying to You and to live a more holy life? 

17.  Is there anyone You want me to contact or reach out to for any reason?

18.  Is there anyone I need to fully forgive?

19.  Is there anyone I need to seek forgiveness from?

20.  How has my past shaped me, for good or bad?  What do You say about it?

21.  Is there any issue from the past that I need to go back to, with You?  (Follow up with “What do You want me to do with it?”)

22.  Is there anything that I am trying to hide from You?  What do I fear will happen if I admitted the truth?  And what do You have to say about it? 

23.  Do I have any expectations of myself that are not fair and reasonable?  What is Your response to them? 

24.  Do I have any expectations of others that are not fair and reasonable?  What is Your response to them?

25.  Do I have any expectations of You that are not fair and reasonable?  What is Your response to them?

26.  What kind of person do You want me to be?  Is there anything else I can do to become that person? 

27.  How do You define humility?  How can I better live it? 

28.  What do You love about me?  (If there is resistance to even wanting to ask this question, then ask God, “Why is it hard to let myself be loved?”)

29.  Lord, do You have a word picture or image You want to share with me?  What does it mean?

30.  What animal/insect/living thing do I most remind You of?  Why?

31.  What movie character/person do I most remind You of?  Why? 

32.  Do You have a “new name” You want to give me?  What does it mean for me?

33.  Have I ever quenched or grieved the Spirit along the way or refused to obey in something?  If so, what?  And is there anything I can do about it now?

34.  Are there any priorities/focuses that I need to change to be more God-glorifying or to get on the path that You are on?

35.  What would others say about my relationship with You if they looked at my life?
 
36.  Is there anything You have been wanting to say to me? 

37.  How do I normally face or handle trials that come up?  How do You want me to face them? 

38.  Psalm 37:7 says, “Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him. . .”  What gets in the way of me being able to “be still” and wait on You? 

39.  How well do I obey?  And how do You want me to change in this area?

40.  How well do I listen to You and for You?  And how do I need to change? 

41.  Do I really believe that You can be trusted, that You are good, and that You love me?  What do You want me to know about these things?  

42.  Is there anything that the Bible says about You that I can’t seem to grasp or understand?  What do You want to tell me about it? 

43.  Can I sense Your leading and conviction?  If not, why? 

44.  Am I failing to obey in any area right now?  What do You want me to do about it? 

45.  Am I doing any wrong “little things” that I am trying to get away with?  Or any wrong “big things” that I am rationalizing?

46.  What kinds of situations do I disobey most in?  And how do I typically rationalize my disobedience? 
                       
47.  Are there any “little things” that I believe You want me to do, but that I am failing to do?  Any big things? 

48.  Am I more concerned with my service to You than I am with my relationship with You?  

49.  Where does “bringing You glory” and “drawing others to Christ” come in on my list of priorities?  Is there anything I should do differently?     

50.  Is there any area of my life that You want to challenge me about?  What do You want me to do about it?

51.  Is there anything that I need to ask Your guidance about?  What do You want to say about it?

52.  Do You have anything to say to me concerning my view of or use of the Bible? 

53.  What fears or doubts do I have about prayer?  What do You want to say to that?   

54.  Do I edit my prayers for any reason?  To sound holier?  To hide doubts?  To cover up for sin? 

55.  Am I transparent with You?  If not, what am I afraid of?

56.  When it comes to prayer, what do I need to do more of? 

57.    When it comes to prayer, what do I need to do less of?

58.  In what ways do I steal Your glory? 

59.  What needs to change for me to be able to praise You regardless of my circumstances? 

60.  How has my past shaped how I relate to You?  What do You want to say to that?

61.  When I was younger, how did I feel/think about myself?  How does that affect me still today?  And what are Your thoughts about it? 

62.  What are my relationships like with my mother, father, or care-givers?  Do You want to say anything about them?

63.  What are my current relationships with others like?  Do You want to say anything about those?

64.  When it comes to relationships, what am I looking for or aching for?  What do You want to tell me about that? 

65.  What fears and doubts do I have when it comes to relationships?  How does this affect me?
66.  How do I currently think/feel about myself?  And what do You think about me? 
67.  What is my relationship with You like right now?  How do You want it to be different? 
68.  What am I pursuing or relying on besides You? 
69.  What are the unhealthy things – my shortcomings - that need to change? 
70.  Do I put other people over You in any way? 
71.  What kind of person do You want me to be and how can I start to be that person?   
72.  What are some qualities that I am lacking or need more of? 
73.  If I had to describe my deep-down view of You in one phrase it would be ________.  How does this affect me and my relationship with You?
74.  What are my fears and doubts about You?  And what do You want to say to those?
75.  Deep down, how do I think You see me?  How do You really see me? 
76.  When, in my past, did I ever shut the door of my heart to love?  Do You have any words of healing for that wound?
77.  Is there anything I am angry or disappointed with You about or any reason I might be afraid of You?  Is there anything You want to say about it? 
78.  Deep down:  Do I feel like I have to earn Your love/blessings?  Like You expect too much out of me?  Like You’re unfair?  Like You don’t really want to be close to me or care about me?  What do You say about this? 
79.  Do You have anything You want to say to me regarding my view of the supernatural/spirit world? 
80.  Do You have anything You want to say to me regarding my view of eternity? 
81.  Do I live with enough/too much/too little awareness of the spirit world?  Of eternity? 
82.  The Bible says that there is a spiritual battle going on all around us, all the time.  The Bible also says that we need to be outfitted with spiritual armor.  Lord, how am I doing in each of those?  (Read Ephesians 6:10-18)  What areas of my life or heart are being attacked right now?  What areas are weak or vulnerable?  What should I do about it? 
83.  What doubts, fears, misconceptions, sins, etc., do You want me to lay down at Your feet right now?
84.  Have I rebelled or disobeyed anything that You have asked me to do?  What should I do about it?
85.  Are there any areas where I am resisting You or hiding from You?  Am I fighting against You in any area or about anything? 
86.  Am I teachable, Lord?  Do I have a soft heart?
87.  Am I chasing after anything, when I should be chasing after a real relationship with You: recognition, money, security, praise, a particular answer, etc.?  Once again, what are my heart idols?
88.  Am I overly focused on anything right now: finances, house, impressing others, a relationship, depression, pleasure, spiritual experiences, etc.?  How do You want me to shift that focus? 
89.  In what ways am I seeking earthly pleasures over Heaven’s treasures? 
90.  In what ways am I disgracing You or engaging in immoral or un-godly behavior?
91.  Am I lazy in my spiritual disciplines?  (Or have they become items on a To Do list instead of using them to draw nearer to You or get to know You better?)  Am I comfortably living my nice, little life when I should be passionately pursuing You?  How do You want me to change this? 
92.  Is there any part of my heart/life/past that I have not opened up to You? 
93.  What is my attitude towards other people right now?  Anger, resentment, bitterness, jealousy, unloving, disrespectful, gossipy, etc.?  What do You want me to change? 
94.  What does it mean to “abide in You” and how can I do that?
95.  What does it mean to “walk in the Spirit” and how can I do that?
96.  What is the next step You want me to take in my life (even if it’s just to keep on doing what I am doing)?
97.  What do I have a hard time accepting/believing about You?
98.  What do I have a hard time accepting/believing about myself?
99.  What is one thing I should do differently?
100.  Are there any blessings You want me to have that I am denying myself? 
101.  Is there anything I haven’t forgiven myself for?  What do You say to that?
102.  What godly trait do I need to pursue/develop more?
103.  Is there anything You want me to do differently in my relationships with others? 
104.  What am I doing that’s not good for me right now?  What should I do instead?  (And what am I doing that is good for me, and that I should keep doing?)
105.  Since You know what’s best for me, what do I need most right now?
106.  In what area(s) am I not trusting You right now?
107.  Is there any area You are trying to tell me “no” in? 
108.  Is there any area You are trying to tell me “yes” in?
109.  Is there any area You are trying to tell me “stop” or “wait” in?
110.  Do I watch, listen to, or read anything that is not glorifying to You?
111.  In what area do I need to be more content?
112.  How can I best share my faith with others or be a witness for You?  (Is there anyone in particular You want me to share my faith with?  How?)
113.  Knowing that my body is a gift from You that You want me to take care of, is there anything You want me to do differently for my health? 
114.  When do I feel the closest to You?  And how can I add more of that to my day? 
115.  What are a few words that describe my relationship with You?  What are the words that You want to describe our relationship?
116.  Do I run ahead of Your guidance or fail to seek Your guidance in any area? 
117.  Do I have expectations of how You answer prayer or guide that might be preventing me from seeing how You are actually answering or guiding? 
118.  Is there a hobby I should pursue or something that I can add to my life to enrich it?
119.  Do I have any unmet “needs” or longings?  Is there anything I can do about them or do I simply need to learn to be more content with them? 
120.  Have I let the enemy in through anything?  What do You want me to do about it?
121.  Am I doing anything that doesn’t come from faith?  (Romans 14:23:  “. . . everything that does not come from faith is sin.”)  What should I do about it? 
122.  Am I failing to do some good thing that I know I should do?  (James 4:17:  “Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn’t do it, sins.”)  What should I do? 
123.  Is there anything hindering my prayers right now?  What should I do about it?
124.  Is there anything I’m doing that is grieving the Spirit or that hinders me from sensing Him?  What should I do about it?
125.  Is there anyone I should be praying for?  What do You want me to pray? 
126.  Do You have a “key word” that You want me to apply to the next phase of my life?
127.  Do You have a Bible verse that You want me to meditate on and apply to my life?
128.  Is there a song that You want me to meditate on and apply to my life?
129.  Is there a social/moral issue that I should engage in or take a stand on?
130.  What can I do to be more of a blessing to society/others? 
131.  What can I do to be more of a blessing to God’s kingdom?
132.  In what ways do I need to stop trying to live in my own wisdom, power, or self-sufficiency and to submit to You?
133.  Is there any area that I am afraid to try in?  What do You want me to do about it? 
134.  If 1 is total self-sufficiency and 100 is total reliance on You/humility, where am I on the scale?  How can I move closer to humility and being more reliant on You? 
135.  In what ways are You pleased with me?
136.  In what ways are You not pleased with me?  What do You want me to do instead? 
137.  Is there an old wound where I need Your healing?  Please go back to that wound with me and heal it, Lord.
138.  What goal am I aiming for that I shouldn’t be?  And what goal am I not aiming for that I should be?
139.  Is there anything that I should be giving more thought to?  Less thought to?  What do You say about these? 
140.  Is there any doctrinal/moral issue that I need to think about more or that I need to reconsider my position on?  What is Your opinion about it? 
141.  Am I living in an awareness of Your holiness?  What in my life might show that I am not?  (Disobedience, not seeking after You, no sense of conviction, etc.)
142.  Am I living in an awareness of Your love?  What do I still need to learn about Your love?
143.  Is there any prayer that I know I should pray but that I am hesitating to do so?  Why?  (Prayers such as:  “Lord, help me forgive so-and-so . . . May Your Will be done . . . Forgive me for . . . Make me an instrument . . . Grant me wisdom about . . . Give me strength to . . . How am I responsible . . . Open my eyes to the needs of others . . . etc.”)  Lord, help me to pray it!
 
144.  What are some unanswered questions that I am currently struggling with?  Lord, help me see it through Your eyes. 

145.  Is there a way that You want me to display more love or is there someone You want me to love more?  (Lord, help me love more!)

146.  Is there an area of my life or heart that needs to be filled with joy?  What advice can You give me to make that possible?  (Lord, replace my discontent with Your joy!)

147.  Where in my life or heart do I need more peace?  How can I find or add it?  (Lord, I give You my unrest now and ask You to fill that area with Your peace.)

148.  Where in my heart or life do I need to be more patient?  How can I do this?  (Lord, slow me down and help me to rest in Your goodness and timing.)

149.  Is there someone I need to reach out to in kindness?  How?
150.  How can I apply “goodness” in my life more?

151.  Where am I lacking faithfulness?  What do You want me to do about it?

152.  In what way do I need to be more gentle?

153.  In what area(s) do I need to exercise self-control more?  How?

154.  What does the “fear of the Lord” mean for me and my life?

155.  Is there anything I am avoiding that You want me to do?

156.  What do I need more of in my life?

157.  What do I need less of in my life?

158.  Am I harboring any bitterness?  What do You want me to do about it?

159.  Am I angry about anything right now?  What do You want me to do about that?

160.  Am I upset about anything?  What so You say about it? 

161.  Am I confused about anything?  What is Your Truth about it?

162.  Is there anything I am hurt about or heartbroken over?  What do You say about it?

163.  Is there anything I am overly concerned about?  What do You want me to do about it?

164.  Is there anything I am afraid of?  What do You say about that?

165.  What blessings am I forgetting to be thankful for? 

166.   What am I overly proud about that I need to give You the glory for? 

167.  What are some of the greatest passions/talents that You have given me and how can I use them for Your glory and Your kingdom?

168.  What else am I serving that is not You?  What other “gods” do I have? 

169.  Do I sabotage relationships with others in any way?

170.  Do I sabotage my relationship with myself in any way?

171.  Do I sabotage my relationship with You in any way?

172.  What do I most complain about and how does this affect my life and heart?

173.  Is there any disappointment in my life that was actually a blessing in disguise?

174.  Is there a time in my past when I didn’t think You were with me . . . but You really were?  (Or think of a time in your past that still confuses or bothers you, and ask God this:  "What did You want to teach me through or during that experience?  What lesson did I miss?")

175.  Is there anything You’ve been trying to show me or tell me that I haven’t been able to hear yet? 

176.  Is there an area of my life where I need to live with more integrity?  How can I do that? 

177.  How can I be more gracious? 

178.  In what area do I need to walk more righteously?

179.  Do I need to change how I treat others, in order to treat them the way You want me to?

180.  Who do I need to begin seeing through Your eyes?  Is there anything You want me to do for this person?

181.  In what areas or ways am I “luke-warm”?  What do You want me to do about it?

182.  Who do I most resemble from the Bible?  Why?

183.  Who from the Bible do You want me to imitate more?  In what way?

184.  In what ways am I failing to acknowledge You?

185.  How can I live this verse more?  Matthew 6:33:  “But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.”  

186.  How can I live this verse more?  1 Thessalonians 5:16-18:  “Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”

187.  How can I live this verse more?  Romans 12:1-2: “Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God - this is your spiritual act of worship.  Do not conform any longer to the pattern of the world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.  Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is - his good, pleasing and perfect will.”

188.  What part of my life or heart needs to be sanctified, set apart for You?  What should I do with that part? 

189.  Is there anything that I am holding onto too tightly that I need to release to You?

190.  Psalm 23: 3:  “. . . He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.”  (Emphasis is mine.)  How do You want me to apply this verse to my life?

191.  When it comes to the things I pray for, do I have any wrong or selfish motives? 

192.  James 5:16: “The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.”  How can my prayers become more powerful and effective? 

193.  Is there any part of the Lord’s Prayer that You want me to meditate on?  What do You want me to know? 
            [Our Father in Heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.  Give us today our daily bread.  Forgive us our debts (trespasses), as we also have forgiven our debtors (those who trespass against us).  And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.  (And something we often add . . . For yours is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, now and forever.)  Amen]

194.  What can I do for You that would warm Your heart?      

195.  Do I need to apply this verse to my life in any way?  Mark 11:25: “And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive your sins.”

196.  Do I need to be reconciled to anyone?  (Matthew 5:23-24:  “Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there in front of the altar.  First go and be reconciled to your brother; then come and offer your gift.”)

197.  Proverbs 21:13:  “If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be answered.”  Is there any way that You want me to be more attentive to the needy?

198.  Do You have anything to tell me about these verses?  1 John 3:21-23:  “Dear friends, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God and receive from Him anything we ask, because we obey his commands and do what pleases him.  And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us.” 

199.  How can I live these verses more?  “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. . . . Love your neighbor as yourself.”  (Matthew 22:37, 39)

200.  Read Malachi 3:6-12.  How can I apply this passage to my life? 

201.  “I am the vine; you are the branches.  If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.”  (John 15:5)  How can I “remain in You” the way You want me to? 

202.  “ . . . whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.”  (1 Corinthians 10:31)  Do I?  Or is there something that I am doing for my own glory?

203.  “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”  (Psalm 46:10)  In what area or way do You want me to “be still”?

204.  What do You want to tell me about this passage?  “Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.  Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.”  (Philippians 2:3-4)

205.  Ephesians 4:29:  “Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.”  What do You want to tell me about this?

206.  “He called a little child and had him stand among them.  And he said:  ‘I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.  Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.’” (Matthew 18:2-4).  What do I need to know about this passage?

207.  Deuteronomy 4:29:  “But if from there you seek the Lord your God, you will find him if you look for him with all your heart and with all your soul.”  Is there anything You want to share with me about this? 

208.  Like rainbows reminding us of God’s promise, what else should remind me of You whenever I come across it? 

209.     Psalm 51:17:  “The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.”  Is there any part of me that needs to be “broken”?   

210.  Lord, speak to me about this passage:  “Love is patient, love is kind.  It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.  Love never fails.”  (1 Cor. 13:4-8)

211.  Proverbs 12:22:  “The Lord detests lying lips, but he delights in men who are truthful.”  Speak to me about this verse and my life. 

212.  Matthew 5:8:  “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.”  Is my heart pure?  How can I get a more pure heart?

213.  Psalm 139:23-24:  “Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.  See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.” 

214.  Colossians 3:23:  “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.”  In what area do I need to apply my whole heart, for Your glory?

215.  Speak to me about these verses and how I can apply them to my life more.  (1 Peter 3:10-12)  “For, ‘Whoever would love life and see good days must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from deceitful speech.  He must turn from evil and do good; he must seek peace and pursue it.  For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer, but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.’” 

216.  Luke 6:28:  “bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.”  Who do You want me to bless and pray for?

217.  Lord, help me see how this relates to my life: “Most discontentment comes from feeling like God owes us something that He isn’t giving us.  When in reality, we owe Him everything that we already have.”

218.  Matthew 7:7-8 says “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.  For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.”  Is there any asking, seeking, or knocking that I need to do?

219.  Micah 6:8:  “He has showed you, O man, what is good.  And what does the Lord require of you?  To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.”  How can I apply this verse to my life?

220.  Luke 16:10:  “Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, . . .”  Is there any “little” thing that I need to be more trustworthy/faithful about?

221.  What job or task do I need to focus on right now the most?

222.  How can I better let my light for You shine?

223.  Do You have a word or image You want to share with me?  What does it mean?

224.  What do I need to learn to be content with?

225.  What can I do to enjoy my life more, for the gift that it is?

226.  How do I best worship You? 

227.  Is there a gift or blessing that You want me to just accept?  To pass on to others?

228.  What do I need to know or understand more about You?

229.  How can I be more kind to myself?

230.  Is there something about me that I see as a negative thing but that You see as a positive thing?

231.  Is there something that I need to take more responsibility for?

232.  Is that something that I need to stop taking responsibility for?

233.   What am I too hard on myself about?  And what do You want to tell me about it?

234.  What about me makes You smile?

235.  What about me makes You sad?  What should I do about it?

236.  What about myself do I need to be more accepting of?

237.  Is there anything that I need to finally let go of or get past?  Lord, I give it to You now!

238.  Is there something that You want me to do with my life?

239.  1 John 3:16: “This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us.  And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers.”  How am I living this verse and how can I live this verse more?

240.  Who/what do I need to put in Your hands right now?

241.  Is there anything coming between me and You right now?

242.  How can I be a better friend to others?  Anyone in particular?

243.  In what area do I need to be less concerned with what others think?

244.  Lord, open my eyes to a blessings/gift You gave me this past week and to a time when You used me as a blessing to others.

245.  What do You most want from me right now? 

246.  What do You most want for me right now?

247.  What word or phrase best describes my future, my life’s purpose? 

248.  What question do You want me to ask You?

249.  What question do You want to ask me?

250.  In what way(s) do I need to become more like Jesus?